Salvia hispanica, commonly known as chia, is a species of flowering plant in the mint family. These seeds are among the healthiest foods on the planet. The plant is native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala. It was cultivated by the Aztecs & Mayans and was as important as maize as a food crop. These seeds are loaded with nutrients that can have important benefits for your body and brain. “Chia” is the ancient Mayan word for “strength.” Ground or whole chia seeds are still used in Paraguay, Bolivia, Argentina, Mexico, and Guatemala for nutritious drinks and as a food source and have since become a modern day super food.
The Health Benefits of Chia Seeds:
- They are packed with a huge amount of nutrients and anti-oxidants with very few calories.
- It is a Low Carb food and almost all the carb content is fibre.
- Chia seeds are high in quality protein, much higher than most plant foods. Protein is the most weight loss friendly macronutrient and can drastically reduce appetite and cravings.
- Chia Seeds can aid weight loss because of its high fibre & protein content.
- They are high in nutrients that support bone health: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and protein.
- A study in type 2 diabetics showed that chia seeds can significantly lower blood pressure and a marker for inflammation.
- Chia seeds are gluten free and can be used in recipes for power shakes to breads.
Chia seeds can easily be incorporated in your diet. Adding chia seeds to recipes will dramatically boost the nutritional value. See recipe here: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/04/healthy-chia-seed-recipes.html
To purchase Chia Seeds – contact Dried Fruit for Africa 021 982 8672